Comfort Foods


If I were a comfort food, I would come back as a carb. Seriously. A delicious doughy carb. There is something warm and inviting about satisfying your foodaholic craving with a huge bagel.

I admit, there are days where I "forget" to take something out of the freezer for dinner - and 5:30 rolls around and I come home to "OH NO!!! What's or dinner?!!" with panic stricken face and pleading, hungry eyes.

I found myself in such a spot not too long ago. But, with a little creativity, and of course, the help of the world wide web - I was able to whip up a quick yet satisfying meal in no time at all.

Strata. Say it with me. SSSTTTRRRRAAAATTTTAAAA. It's a fun word.

With the staling bagels on my counter (FOR SHAME!) a little sweet & spicy italian sausage, shredded cheese, garlic, herbs, spices, and eggs I was able to whip up this delicious treat.

3-4 Large bagels
10 eggs
1 & 1/4 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 lb hot italian sausage
1/2 lb sweet italian sausage
2 cups shredded cheese
Salt
Pepper
Oregano
Parsley
Basil

Cut up bagels into bit size pieces. Place in a greased cassarole dish. Set aside.

In a large skillet, fully cook & brown sausage with minced garlic. Strain well to rid of excess fat.

Mix eggs, milk, and 1 1/2 cups cheese. Pour egg mixture over bagels. Allow bagels to soak up the eggs for 1 hour up to over night in refrigerator.

Cover bagels & eggs with sausage, season with above to taste. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over cassarole.

Bake, covered, at 350 for 35-40 minutes. Serve immediately.

Dive in and enjoy.

Comments

Popular Posts