Keto Cream Puffs



People. Behave, now. Let's talk cream puffs. I come from a land (Vermont) where cream puffs are magical mountains of goodness. There is a place where I used to live called P&H Truck Stop that would make every Friday, fresh home made cream puffs. And they were the size of your head. You couldn't finish one in a sitting. Sometimes it took a good three nights to polish one off. I have so longed for my Vermont cream puffs for years - but those enormous sugar packed mountains of cream and chocolate would probably kill me today. I've been REALLY wanting something sweet. Is it PMS? Possibly. But, whatever it was that inspired this divine intervention - I am grateful to the muse.

I played with a test batch the other night that came out pretty good. They were ok, but the puffs fell flat, and you couldn't pipe the cream inside them. See below:



I wanted a traditional pastry cream puff. So I knew I had to tweak this recipe some how. So, tonight... after 688 likes on a photo I posted in one of my facebook groups, and hundreds of responses wanting the recipe - I worked with my husband to provide the best cream puff I can possibly provide. And, oh my Lord, people. It. Is. Delicious.

What you will need for the puffs:

4 eggs - separated
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
4 Tbspn powdered swerve
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbspn almond flour (fine ground)
1/2 scoop Banana protein isolate (you can sub here if you'd like with your preferred isolate powder)
1 tsp banana extract or vanilla extract
pinch salt


Beat egg whites, cream of tartar, and 2 Tbspn powdered swerve until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Beat the egg yolks with 2 Tbspn swerve, extract, salt, baking powder, almond flour, and isolate powder. Take 1/3 of the egg whites, and fold into the egg yolk mixture. Repeat with remaining egg whites until incorporated - but do NOT over mix. You do not want to deflate the egg whites. This is what creates the puff.

For the cream filling, what you'll need:

1/2 cup heavy cream
1 Tbspn cream cheese
1/4 scoop of the banana isolate powder (Again sub your preferred isolate powder here if you don't like banana)
1 Tbspn powdered swerve
1 tsp banana or vanilla extract

Place all these ingredients in a magic bullet and process until it makes a thick whipped cream. If you do not have a magic bullet, you can do this with a hand mixer in a bowl.

In a piping bag, put the puff batter set with a round tip. Gently pipe little mountains onto a parchment lined baking sheet that is sprayed with coconut oil. Bake 300 degrees for 20-30 minutes - or until golden brown, but still slightly soft in the center. Allow to cool.

Take the cream filling and put into a piping bag with a round tip. Gently push the nozzle into the top of the puff, and squeeze a bit of the filling in. You will see the puff expand as you do this. Be sure to not over fill.

For the chocolate glaze, you will need:

Sugar free chocolate bar, or chips (4-6 ounces)
Heavy cream (varies depending on how thin you want the sauce)

Microwave chocolate in 15 second intervals until the chocolate is melted. Slowly add a bit of cream, a little at a time, to thin the chocolate out. Put about 1 tbspn of chocolate on top of each puff. Depending on the size of your puffs, you will have to gauge how much sauce to use.

I made my puffs on the smaller side, so there would be more of them, and obviously, less carbs. These may seem like a lot of work, or a lot of steps - but it really didn't take me long to make these from start to finish. Making the batter took me maybe 15 minutes. Waiting for them to bake and cool was the longest part of this process. But the end result is so worth the wait.

Edited 4/25/17 - I made another batch this evening so I could take progressive photos as I made them. I know for me when I look at blogs, I find it helpful to see what it's supposed to look like along the way. I hope these help.

MACROS BASED ON 24 PUFFS: 57 CALORIES, 7 FAT, .7 CARBS, 3 PROTEIN EACH

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts