Poached eggs atop sauteed leeks, baby bella mushrooms, and zucchini - Plus, updates!!!

With my new found refocus on my weight loss goals - my inspiration in the kitchen has also come back full force, which I am grateful for, as it's been a while. Bj and I have been continuing on our low carb path - and this past week I lost another 6.6 lbs. I am officially 109 lbs down from my starting highest weight.

This past week I have absolutely been ** killing it ** at Plant Armstrong (home gym). I've been doing a mix of kick boxing, weight training, cardio/aerobic. I really like the kick boxing the best. There is something really satisfying about punching the strike bag and kicking the crap out of the pads Bj holds for me to practice with. The best part is - I WANT TO work out. I look forward to it. I look forward to feeling how hard my heart is pumping that I can HEAR IT in my ears. I look forward to the sweat, and the heat, and the static energy in my veins. And, yes, I'll admit it... I've turned into quite the self absorbed self loving narcissist. I am fascinated in the ways my body and face are changing. And, while I may be a good stones throw from my end goal - I love how I'm looking. I feel that I LOOK healthier. And happier.





I never in a million years ever thought I'd be ok with having my picture taken during a work out - let alone posting them on line. But, I'm proud of these. They are progress. They are proof that I'm keeping to my word, and I'm following through on the promises I'm making to myself. So what if my hair is messy and I have fat arms? Who gives a shit? I'm a work in progress.

During the times that I'm not absolutely rocking it in my jammies and home gym - Bj and I have been cooking deliciousness squared. The exercise we do means absolutely NOTHING if the food we put in our mouths is garbage. We make sure to spend a good amount of time being picky about what we make. Tonight, I have to say, was some of the best food I've ever tasted. Not just because I made it - but because the simple ingredients are what truly make a dish.

Poached eggs atop sautéed Leeks, Portabella mushrooms, and Zucchini



1 large leek - out leaves removed, tops removed, and the roots removed. Keep just the white bulb just into the green part of the leaves. I sliced the leeks into rounds, then cut in half to make half moons. Separate and soak the chopped leeks in a bowl of water. Leeks grow in very sandy dirt, and grit will get in between the rings. You will want the dirt to settle to the bottom of the water bowl, and with a slotted spoon, remove the leeks and dry on a paper towel. Use about 1/2 cup for this recipe. Save the rest for another dish.

3 Baby portabella mushrooms - chopped into bite size pieces

1 small zucchini - chopped into bite size pieces

In a sautee pan, spray with coconut oil - and sautee veg until the leeks take on a nice caramelized flavor, the bellas have shrunk down in size, and the zucchini is fork tender. Be sure to season with salt, pepper, and parsley.



While the veg is sautéing, bring water to a boil in a small sauce pan. GENTLY place two eggs in the boiling water, making sure to not move the eggs around to cause the whites to separate. Let them sit, and turn the heat down to low. Gently spoon water over the tops of the eggs to ensure they cook properly all the way around. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the whites are no longer jiggly.

With a slotted spoon, remove the poached eggs and allow them to strain on a paper towel. Plate the vegetables, and top with your two poached eggs. Sprinkle with additional salt, pepper, and parsley.

I like my yolks to still be soft... so that it creates a sauce over the vegetables. This dish is creamy, rich, and comforting.



Eating these real, whole foods makes me feel better... and I don't have any guilt after I'm done. I don't think to myself "I just ate such and such, and now I have to work out twice as hard because of it". Make what you put in your body work for you and your goals. Make it delicious, make it fun, and make it healthy. Healthy doesn't mean flavorless and boring. Be creative in the kitchen, and just have fun. You'll be surprised at what you can come up with.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts