Have you ever had green bread?

I will not eat green bread with ham, I will not eat it, Sam I am!

Well, I apparently WILL eat green "bread" because hey, it's festive - it's fun - and I like to freak people out. "OMG, WHAT ARE YOU EATING!" Why, it's my sunbutter paleo bread, of course! This little gem happened by complete accident, and personally, I think it will be fantastic for St. Patty's Day.

 photo SAM_2156.jpg

We have been pretty obsessed with a blog called Against All Grain: http://www.againstallgrain.com They have this wonderful grainfree bread that is made with cashew butter. We've made this recipe numerous times - however, the night in question of the green bread - I was out of cashew butter. I did have Sunbutter, however, and the blogger said that sunbutter would be an acceptable substitute. Ehem. However... they failed to mention that the interaction between sunbutter and the vinegar in the recipe would transform my normally beautiful brown bread into a bright flourescent green! It tasted exactly as it should, so no harm, no foul.

One of the major parts of living gluten free / paleo is researching new ways of eating. We've found Fast Paleo, Against all Grain, Joy the Baker, and many other gluten free / paleo friendly blogs that help us to stay focused. Though, I will admit - over the Holiday - I did fall off the wagon a bit. *Hangs head in shame*

But, today is a new day, right? With so many paleo and gluten free options, there really is no excuse to not jump back on the wagon. During the week my breakfasts consist mainly of eggs - usually with some kind of sauteed veg mixed in. The weekends we like to splurge a bit and make something more fun and exciting. BJ found this recipe for grainfree waffles. We have a waffle iron and let me tell you - GREAT investment. We love making home made waffles. Wwhen we started on paleo - I thought I'd never see a waffle again. Recipe that follows is also from Against All Grain.

 photo SAM_1767.jpg

What you'll need: 3 eggs 1 cup raw cashews 1/3 cup almond milk (or any non-dairy milk) 3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted ¼ teaspoon salt ¾ teaspoons baking soda 3 tablespoons coconut flour

1.Preheat your waffle iron. 2.Combine the eggs, cashews, milk, honey, and melted coconut oil in a blender. Blend until very smooth and creamy. You may need to stop the blender and push the mixture down the sides a few times to get it all to blend really well. 3.Add the salt, baking soda, and coconut flour, then blend again for about a minute until the dry ingredients are incorporated into the wet. 4.If you’re iron requires oil, spread a little coconut oil on both sides. Pour the batter into the waffle iron so it just covers the bottom portion of the iron, being careful not to overfill it as these do rise quite a bit and will spill over. 5.Cook the waffles for about a minute, more or less depending on the heat of your waffle iron. If they release easily with a fork when you open the lid, they are probably done. 6.Repeat until the batter has been used up.

You have no idea how delicious these waffle are. Boarder line addicting, and so worth the effort to make. Add a little whipped cream sweetened with honey on top? OMG. Out of this world.

Another thing that is out of this world is roasted pumpkin & butternut squash soup. Growing up I was not a huge fan of pumpkin anything. Now that I'm older and have a more refined palate, I find I enjoy pumpkin when it's done properly. I still, however, detest pumpkin pie.

 photo SAM_1771.jpg

Simply roast 2 cups each peeled & chopped pumpkin & butternut squash, until golden and caramlized. I like to toss the cubes in a bit of olive oil and maple sugar prior to playing on a roasting pan, it adds a nice sweetness. Once the veg is nicely roasted, process in small batches in a food processor or high speed blender with heavy cream & veg broth - to your desired consistency. I like my soup a little thick. If you like your soup thin, add more cream/veg broth. Add salt, pepper, and maple sugar or syrup to taste. Top with roasted pumpkin seeds, and drizzle with maple. So delicious and hearty. Great for this cold weather!

ENJOY!

Comments

Popular Posts