N'Oat Meal - Low Carb grain free way to have "Oat Meal" without the guilt

One of my absolute most favorite things in the whole wide world (especially in the fall / winter) is Oat Meal. I LOVE that warm bowl of goodness in the morning. But, those little packets you buy at the store are full of additives and sugar that are so not good for us. The Low Carb worlds answer for this dilemma is a mixture of chia seeds, flax, and coconut flakes. Just... go with me on this. In the beginning, I was hesitant and skeptical, too. I thought there would be no way in hell that these things mixed together would be nearly as satisfying as a packet of cinnamon apple or brown sugar oat meal. But, I was so very wrong.



Now... I use whole seed chia and flax. I like to crush them in a bag instead of pulverizing them in my magic bullet. Why? Because I like my N'oatmeal to have some texture. So this is how this delicious creation is made.

1/8 cup chia seeds, crushed
1/8 cup flax seeds, crushed
1/8 cup flaked unsweetened coconut, toasted
1/8 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1/8 cup hemp hearts
1/8 cup unsalted pumpkin and sunflower seed mix
1 tsp organic vanilla extract
1/8 cup sugar free maple syrup
2 Tbsp swerve sweetener
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Handful of nuts - optional. I prefer walnuts or pecans chopped up.
1 Cup unsweetened coconut or almond milk
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

For a truly nutty flavor, toast the coconut and the nuts in a dry pan first. 2-3 minutes until fragrant, and just starting to turn a light golden color. Take out of pan and put into a bowl. Add the rest of the dry ingredients to that bowl, minutes a handful of the toasted coconut and nuts (to use for topping). Set aside.

In a sauce pan, combine the coconut or almond milk, heavy cream, sugar free maple syrup, and vanilla. Scald the milk mixture - but do not boil. Add the scalded liquid to the dry ingredients and stir. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to allow the chia seeds and flax to soak up the liquid.

Top with reserved toasted coconut, nuts, and optional frozen berries if desired. My favorite are frozen blue berries. Drizzle on a little more maple, a splash of cold heavy cream - and dig in!

Comments

Popular Posts