Keto Quiche made with Cauliflower hash brown crust

People. Seriously. Lets talk about quiche. Quiche is one of those lazy Sunday morning things that just invokes happiness, comfort, and a sense of fulfillment. No? That's just me? Okay, maybe... but quiche is delicious, and you should try this. Because... seriously. Look at it.



I was thinking about how I could make an actual quiche with a crust - that wasn't a crust loaded with carbs. Now... let me preface this with when I started on low carb 2 years ago I freaking DETESTED cauliflower. The only way I'd eat it was battered and fried the way my Dad makes it. That was the only way cauliflower was getting past my lips. But... I learned how to correctly cook cauliflower over the last 2 years - and now? It's a main staple of my diet.

I've been making cauliflower hash browns almost every weekend for months. Weekends are my time to experiment in the kitchen - and we eat full meals on weekends, whereas on weekdays - we intermittent fast and only eat once, maybe twice a day. So, cauliflower hash browns has become a regular event. While I was contemplating the quiche, I thought - why can I do this on a larger scale? Instead of frying them - baking it in a dish? So, that's what I did - and the results are amazing.



Cauliflower creates the perfect port for that quichey goodness. The edges come a nice golden brown, and so crispy. You will NOT miss the traditional carb loaded wheat filled quiche crust that is quintessential to quiche dishes. This cauliflower crust gives this old favorite a fresh perspective.



Lets begin with the crust. This is what you'll need:

1/2 head of cauliflower - riced, and steamed for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes in microwave
1 large egg
1 cup shredded low moisture mozzarella
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 Tbspn coconut flour
1 tsp pink salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 Tbspn italian seasoning


Mix all of the above ingredients together until well combined. Press the cauliflower mixture into a greased quiche dish, and up the sides. Bake at 375 degrees for a total of 30 minutes. After 15 minutes, take the crust out - and with the back of a spoon, repress the cauliflower up the sides. I found that mine fell - and I had to press it against the sides again and continue baking for another 15 minutes.



Meanwhile - prepare the filling. Here is what you need:

8 large eggs
1 cup heavy whipping cream
5 White mushrooms
2 cups fresh spinach
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 Tbspn bacon crumbles
8 ounces shredded chicken
Salt to taste
Black pepper to taste


In a blender combine the eggs, cream, mushrooms, spinach, salt, and pepper. Blend until everything is well combined. Stir in the chicken, bacon, and cheddar cheese. Once the crust has baked for the full 30 minutes, take out of oven - and pour the egg mixture onto the crust. Put back in oven, and bake for 30-40 minutes - or until the center is completely set. Allow to cool on counter for 15-20 minutes before cutting and serving.

Recipe makes 6 servings. 437 Calories per serving, 33 fat, 29 protein, and 4.2 net carbs.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts