Sugar free Low Carb Pumpkin Bread

It's that time of the year. Pumpkin. Everything. And, it so happens to be my favorite time of the year. Fall has always had my heart. It's a time for reflection, and comfort, family and friends - and of course - baking. Finding a tried and true "Bread" recipe on this low carb journey I've been on has been a trying venture. This one is too crumbly. This one is too eggy. Well, this recipe here? It's just right. Into this life, a little pumpkin spice must fall.



The thing about this recipe is that I sort of just threw a whole bunch of shit in a bowl, and crossed my fingers that it turned into something edible. To my very pleasant surprise - it did. Possibly the best low carb bread I've had to date (not just because it's my own) but seriously - it tastes like bread. I've found that 90% of the recipes I've had on the LCHF diet is all trial and error. It takes a good amount of risking ingredients to understand how to bake without gluten. It takes patience, which if you know me... I have very little of. I have the attention span of a gnat.



And cutting this bread? Oh lawdy, lawdy. No. Crumbles. At all. One of the things I detest about most gluten free / low carb breads is how grainy and crumbly they are. Like, it just disintegrates right under the knife. This bread though? Like cutting through soft butter. I even cut it while it was still hot (Because I'm impatient) and it still cut beautifully.



What about the texture, right? Does it tastes like you're eating some form of really dry bread crumbs mashed with egg whites? Oh heavens, no. This is soft, and supple, and it holds together as bread should. No eggy taste, no weird dry crusty bits that make you go "wtf was that?".



But enough about all that. You're here for one reason, right? You want the recipe. So, here it is my lovelies. Enjoy!

4 eggs - egg whites separated into one bowl, yolks in another
3 ounce cream cheese
1/4 cup unsweetened organic pumpkin puree
1/4 cup strong brewed coffee
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup swerve (Reserve 2 tbspn for egg whites)
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice

1/3 cup oat fiber
1 tbspn psyllium husk powder
1/4 cup almond flour
1 tbspn coconut flour
1/2 cup isopure protein powder
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp xantham gum

You will need three bowls. 1 for egg whites, 1 for the yolks, and 1 for the dry. You will also need a sifter, whisk, hand beaters, and a spatula.

Into the yolks combine 3 ounces of cream cheese (softened), pumpkin puree, coffee, almond milk, swerve (minus the 2 Tbspn for the egg whites), vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice. Whisk all these ingredients together. Set aside.

Combine all the dry ingredients except the cream of tartar, and sift together. 1/3 at a time add the dry to the yolks and whisk until JUST combined. Do not over mix. Do this until all the dry has been incorporated. Set aside.

To the egg whites, add the cream of tartar and beat with hand beaters, slowly adding the reserved 2 tbsp swerve to them until stiff peaks form.

With a spatula, take 1/3 of the egg whites and gently fold until just incorporated into the yolk batter. Continue this until all the egg whites are incorporated. Again, do not over mix.

Spray a standard side bread pan with coconut oil. Scrape batter into the bread pan. I used glass for this. I do not know what using a silicon or metal bread pan will do to the cook time.

Bake 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes - or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I ended up putting a tinfoil tent on my bread about half way through to ensure it didn't get too brown on top.

I cooled in the pan for about 10 minutes before removing it from the glassware. Store in refrigerator. I enjoyed a slice with a maple walnut cream cheese that I whipped together. I used 2 tbspn whipped cream cheese, 1 tsp sugar free maple syrup, and 2 chopped walnuts mixed together. So delicious.

Enjoy!!!

Comments

Popular Posts