Keto bagels - Yes, even us Low Carbers can have our bagels and eat them, too!

I've missed bagels the most, I think. Bagels were always my go to staple every day of my life - especially when I was living in New Jersey. There was this place on Hooper Ave in Toms River called Main Street Bagel that had ** the most fantastic ** french toast bagels I've ever had in my life. And they made their own specialty cream cheese fresh every day. It was magic. Their bagels were so chewy and delicious. There is nothing better than a bagel that hits all the notes you want - crusty outside, soft chewy center - toasts up perfectly, and enough little crevasses for melted butter to nestle into.



I knew I had to do something to fulfill my craving for bagels. So, this is what I came up with. It does seem like a lot of ingredients - BUT - I found that this combination made the exact texture that I wanted that I haven't found with other bagel recipes I'd researched and tried. And these toast up beautifully.



What you'll need:

1 scoop Isopure whey isolate powder
3 Tbspn Fine ground Almond flour
2 Tbspn Coconut flour
2 Tbspn Psyllium husk powder
2 Tbspn Oat Fiber
2 Tbspn Flax meal
2 Tbspn hemp hearts
1 Tbspn ground seasame seeds
1 Tbspn ground pumpkin seeds
1 Tbspn ground sunflower seeds
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp Xantham gum
5 Eggs - 4 separated (yolks one bowl, whites another)
1/2-2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
Seasonings of choice

Whisk dry ingredients. Add 1 whole egg, and 4 egg yolks to dry with 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream. Mix together. Beat egg whites separately in a bowl until frothy. Add 1/2 of the frothy egg whites to the batter, and mix well. Beat remaining egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold egg whites into the batter. If too stiff, add a bit more heavy cream until it is a sold but slightly sticky consistency.

On a parchment lined baking sheet, laddle about 1/3 cup of the mixture into mounds - spacing the mounds about 3 inches apart. With a knife or spoon, create the bagel hole in center. Bake 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Check the bagels at about 20 minutes. The bagels will have a nice golden brown color, and a tooth pick should come out clean. Allow to cool completely before cutting.



Comments

Popular Posts