Orange Honey Lavender Scones

Sometimes a cookie is just too sweet (I know, I can't believe I'm saying that out loud). Sometimes a biscuit is just not sweet enough. What would be the perfect compromise? Why, a scone of course! Scones are the perfect blend of muffin and biscuit - sweet, yet crumbly. These are perfect with coffee or tea - for breakfast or a snack.

One night I was positively craving something, but I didn't want an overly sugary sweet. I went on line and flipped thru pages and pages of on line recipes. Nothing called my name. Then I got to thinking. My co-worker had just bought me this beautiful dried herb wreath where you can pick herbs as you go from the wreath to add to your cooking. In the wreath there are beautiful sprigs of lavender. This is what the Orange Honey Lavender scone was born from. I quickly went and got a basic scone recipe, and tweaked it as needed. This is what I came up with.

Ingredients:
4 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup honey
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons fresh lavender flowers
Zest of 1 large orange
Juice of 1 large orange
2/3 cup butter
1-1/3 cups half-and-half
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 425°. Grease a large baking sheet.

In food processor, combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar. Add in butter and pulse until resembles coarse crumbs.

In a small bowl, beat large egg.

In a sauce pan, combine honey, orange zest, half & half, and lavender flowers. Simmer for 10 minutes until everything is combined and fragrant. Do not boil.

Add beaten egg to food processor, and pulse. Slowly add in the half and half honey lavender mixture - do not strain flowers & zest. Pulse until dough ball forms.

Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead gently five or six times. With lightly floured rolling pin, roll one half of dough into a seven-inch round. Cut into four wedges or use cookie cutter to create scones. Repeat with remaining dough.

Place scones, about one inch apart, on prepared baking sheet. Pierce tops with a fork and brush with squeezed orange juice. Bake scones 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm, drizzled with honey. Sprinkle with sanding sugar if desired.

Photobucket

Now, you can eat these delicious scones just as is - or if you're me who just simply can't leave anything alone - I made a honey strawberry salsa to go on top. Simply chop up several large strawberries and place in a bowl. Mix with 1-2 tablespoons of honey.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts